Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Orleanna comes to Punahou

I am talking in the perspective of a character from a book we are reading for class, The Poisonwood Bible. I am writing as the mother of a family that had forced to go to the Congo and endure all of the things that some with the move. Orleanna tries to be the best mother and wife she can be. her children appreciate her but her husband (who is all about God and religion)doesn't. but she has just come to Punahou.

Today I sit in the "Quad" of Punahou School. The chilly breeze sets the mood of the whole school. This school is just, a well kept school on a rock called Oahu. we are stuck.

The sky is full of dark clouds. As i sit observing the campus, I find myself happy to be out of the Congo but the memory of the Congo haunts me wherever I go. Punahou brings all of these memories back; some good some bad. Animals such as mongoose stealing your food and the feeling of the groups of people staring at you. the Old buildings have shelter from the harsh Manoa Rain Pouring down form the heavens.

People don't know you and people don't care to make a gesture to get to know you. Treated like an outsider forever.

My husband would change their ways and reform them. But why? Are they not enough for him? Nathan always tries to change peoples ways but sometimes they do not need it.

Yet, there is still beauty hidden deep inside just waiting to burst out. Plants line the whole campus giving a natural earthy feeling.

My girls love it. They can actually play with other kids without me having to worry about there safety that much.This feeling of security is not one I found in the Congo and I am happy to find it here.

No comments: